October 21, 2010

More Coffee Shop Ramblings

While in Chicago I've gotten the chance to continue serving coffee at a busy downtown Cafe. Though the line is usually as long as those at popular amusement parks, there is one gentleman who comes every Tuesday and Thursday for a small coffee and for more reason than one he has become a favorite of mine. I recently learned his name and a bit of his story, and he has since learned mine as well. Earlier this week however, he unintentionally challenged me in a way that only a friendly acquaintance could.

I was surprised but blessed when he sat across from me, after respectfully receiving permission, while I was enjoying a bagel and tea on my break. He had a genuine yet un-intrusive interest in sharing life with people as he'd just moved to the city. In his hands he held a bible, so I deemed "Where do you go to church?" as appropriate small talk. I was curious when he responded with "Moody Church" and continued to question. He then asked me to share about some of the churches I'd visited in Chicago and where I go now. I first asked if he's heard of "New Life Church" as there are about 12 throughout Chicago. He responded with a no. We exchanged for a bit about Spanish-speaking services and then I began to share my Soul City experience. I was joyfully diving into how unique it is to be part of a church plant when he interrupted to say "I'm sorry, I should've prefaced this conversation by saying I've only been Christian for about 7 months"; he paused to chuckle and went on saying, "So I'm not sure what New Life Church is, or what a church plant or launch is".

Whoa.

So (smiling, and wanting to eek that we'd been blessed to connect) I sincerely apologized and explained; clearing things as much as I could and pausing to answer any question.

But Whoa...

I couldn't help but stare into the mirror he'd metaphorically held up in front of my nose. How do I come off? What do I assume? How do my assumptions change the way I treat and talk to people? Have I gotten so used to the Christian bubble that I've become a snob? Had he exposed pride? Is my history transparent enough to be welcoming? Have I so quickly forgotten where I came from?

It was an honest mistake, but I don't believe my words are ultimately excusable. I don't wish for the things I say or the way I say them to make someone feel inferior. I'm forced to reassess whether I am sharing things in a way that suggests I'd like a pat on the back, or merely because my heart is bursting with urgency to invite others to join me. I know the words I speak come from the heart (Matthew 15:18) and so I'd be a fool to not address factors beyond the surface.

I'm to follow the example of Christ. I better get off my high horse and find a donkey!

No comments:

Post a Comment