March 1, 2011

Close To Home

Gunshots ring out in River North; officers wounded and suspect dead - Chicago Sun-Times



Recently, there was a fatal shooting on the southwest corner of our campus.



Something about being within ear-shot of flying bullets puts mortality in stark perspective. Moments of chaos like this one have been littered throughout the past seven months of my life.



Beyond my control I have watched and listened. I've spent days in the hospital with people I love; and wished I could've been there for others still. I have walked with peers; sharing many silent moments on the phone and untangling life over lunch tables.



I've sat with broken high school-ers as they try to learn to dream again, against all odds...Wrestled with inner-city schooling, at a Christian elementary, to the point of tears.



Sometimes the color fades to shades of gray and clarity gets lost in reality. The romanticized adult life wasn't supposed to have this shifting focus. Or was it?

A year of re-re-re-re-re-re-focus; keeping me on my knees, opening my heart to love. This is the good stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment