September 5, 2011

Metaphorical Bridges to Ethiopia

I was reading through some of my journal from my time in Ethiopia and stopped to resonate on an entry that I have been living out in a new context.



On June 17th I wrote:

I felt as though the God in me was truly needed in that time and place.  Though tension rang through my mind and heart, there was a peace in my soul.

I sigh because often I make things so complicated.  We make things more difficult than they need to be.  People need to be loved, to be truly seen.  People are dying to be heard and they don't need answers, but a God that is big enough to be Comfort and Grace and Mercy right in the middle of their chaos. 

People need to be reminded that they can.  They want to taste and see living hope.  In response, I want to live magnetically.  I want to live radically different but not out of guilt or in shame.  I want my life to look different because of love, because of selflessness.  I always want to life in awareness of my purpose and worth so that others, too, might see and know theirs.

If you want to see change, expect to be changed.



Previously, I couldn't name or pinpoint the reason I felt prepared for this season.  It's been a beautiful thing to be in another position that invites me, daily, to fight for (and with) people.  Here's to continually learning to love well...

1 comment:

  1. Ashley you have an amazing way with words and i'm very grateful that you shared your journal entry...it really spoke to me. Thanks for being you :-).

    ReplyDelete