February 13, 2011

change of pace

Yesterday my friend Rachel said, "You know Ashley, I was thinking, and you're a lot like Flash".

I laughed and entertained the thought of radiating lightning and wearing yellow gloves and boots for a moment. I couldn't deny the parallel; I am often there one minute and somewhere else the next. It takes a special kind of person to keep up and a special kind of circumstance to slow me down. I think fast, talk fast, and walk fast. Most of the time my mind, body, and heart are engaged and even multitasking.

Except on Sundays.

*sigh*. You feel that relief? I'm living it.

My favorite Sunday things the past few weeks:

reCREATING.

from book to journal:


from scrap-paper to a valentine:


from ingredients to breakfast:


LEARNING.

The art of baking:




LAUGHING

because as much as I try to hone my home-making skills, I can't say that Martha Stewart ain't got nothing on me. You see, this morning I broke TWO needles...


I think I require some sturdier equipment? :)

and LISTENING.

to the words of narratives by Flannery O'Connor, Alice Munro, and C.S. Lewis.
to the banter of Loralei and Rory Gilmore.
to music. (most recently that of Mat Kearney, Joshua Radin, Parachute, Ben Harper, Tyrone Wells, Matt Nathanson, and Jason Myles Goss- who you just might want to listen to below...)


A practice I thought could be irresponsible, has been restoring. More and more I am convinced that we were created for a six-and-one cycle. At least for this season in my life I will live in that freedom.

1 comment:

  1. flannery o'connor!
    i love her name and her stuff :)

    ReplyDelete