February 9, 2011

get to the point

I'm in a writing class this semester under a professor that I very much respect... but her class is kicking my butt a little bit.

I got to sit down with her one-on-one today and walk through the first paper I submitted. When I received it back I felt guilty - as though I owed her 13 cents - because I'm fairly certain an unfair amount of red ink was used on my paper. It was actually quite comical.

And call me a nerd, but I grew eager with the challenge. I love writing. I knew I wasn't great, but I had no idea how much room I have for improvement.

My greatest grammatical weaknesses: redundancy, vagueness, unnecessarily dramatic transitions, and adjective over-use. Today my professor took entire groups of sentences in my paper and summed them up in one noun or verb. It was beautiful to watch her do this.

Far be it from my expectations, it helped to emphasize what was supposed to be emphasized and maintained readability and creativity.

She says all I need is practice.

We both hope she's right :P.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. are you mocking Sarah Palin?? come on ashley I thought better of you! hahahahaha! ok she's a...little goofy but I like her.

    but i must say - it's so much fun to learn!...even when your teacher is a little "aggressive"

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha. I love Sarah Palin :). But survey and research shows that we may be amongst the minority in this, lol. I wouldn't mock - I just use for constructive demonstration of my point!!

    ReplyDelete