January 15, 2010

Time Flys When You're Having Fun... No Really, It Does!


My new Roomie (Sarah/SJ) and I!


I have completed my first week at MBI, and what an adventure it’s been! I visited a new church, experienced the infamous Argo Tea, enjoyed the “ghetto” McDonalds twice, drove a couple girls and I to Target (through downtown Chicago), lost all of my Moody keys only to have them returned to me within 24 hours (hah), attended a seminar on how to get a job, learned the dos and don’ts as far as eating in the cafeteria goes, and mysteriously had my printer poop out on me. This was all besides attending classes, going to Chapels, doing homework, sleeping (a little), doing laundry, and exercising once (if not twice) a day!!!! PHEW!



My very first train ride, with Kia


Argo Tea with Chelsea!




Crazy birds under the heater at the train station, haha

I can tell that I’m really going to enjoy my time here. I already see my time filling with golden opportunities. It’s actually been incredibly difficult to pick and choose only some things. I plan to try out for the volleyball team, and that starts in a week or so! I’ve been physically working hard, and I’m nervous but hopeful… so we’ll see how that goes. I also want to join a group on campus called “Puente”; a Hispanic student group. They do some expected Spanish-student-group activities, but also service projects and missions, etc. This semester they plan on targeting a primarily Mexican group in South Chicago through different outreaches. We (MBI students) also received our Practical Christian Ministry (PCM) assignments this week. This is a pass/fail credit for each student on campus, requiring us to go out and serve each week. I’ll be taking part in an organization called Child Evangelism Fellowship (CEF). I am thrilled about this. It is, more or less, a chance for me to teach publicly-schooled kids (in an after-school program) about their Creator. It’s once a week for two hours, and is treated similar to a year-long VBS. On top of all this, I should really apply for some jobs. Chicago offers a unique variety of places to be employed, so I’ve got to scope out my options a little first!


I have six classes for the semester: 1) Christian Missions, 2) Christianity & Western Culture I, 3) Bible Intro, 4) New Testament Survey, 5) History and Theology of Urban I, and 6) Understanding the City. My favorite classes will probably be Bible Intro and History and Theology of Urban. The professor for Bible Intro is perhaps one of the most entertaining men I have ever met; Dr. Sauer. He holds a sense of intensity that I can’t even put into words. Dr. Sauer has translated much of the bible himself, and so in class we use the SIV (Sauer Inspired Version). His plethora of knowledge is incredible, his life experience is humbling, his pursuit of God is encouraging, and his humongous heart for his students makes you feel like you’re one of his own. The latter of the two is a class that has my other favorite professor: Clive Craigen. This man will not only be the professor for many of my classes, but my academic advisor as well. (My major here is interdisciplinary, with a focus on Urban Ministry and a sub-focus on International Ministry). Clive is the advisor of all Urban Majors. I couldn’t feel more pleased. His theology is solid and similar to mine; he holds a go-with-the-flow policy, values experience over textbooks, and I know I’ll learn a lot through him. Like Dr. Sauer his personal life experience already wows me. In general the professors here are incomparable. I feel so blessed. They want and love to be here to pour into, pray for, and even learn from us. They each bring unique experiences and radical life stories to share. They make Moody a refreshing place to learn, challenge, and grow as broken humans. I’ve only experienced five of them so far, but I appreciate them so much. Who knew bible school would be such an amazing change? (Okay… I’ll admit… I kind of thought it might be! But- it has blown the roof off my, even high, expectations.)

Marah is coming for the weekend from Kentucky to stay with me over my birthday. I can’t wait until she arrives tonight =). I just have so many reasons to be joyful, I don’t even know what to do with myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment