February 1, 2010

Americans Detained in Haiti

I love to read through and/or watch the news.
It's a newer fascination I have with what's going on in the world. I think it's rooted in the way people hold me captivated. God is my favorite artist; humans are such an incomparable part of creation. My major here at MBI is Urban Ministry paired with International Studies. I have never doubted the fact that I long to work with, help, and see people; vocationally and otherwise.


Yesterday I was browsing through news highlights with CNN and was pretty intrigued by this particular video:

HAITI PRIME MINISTER ON DETAINED AMERICANS
^Click link to veiw!

Are we helping or hurting?
I'm currently reading a book by Steve Corbett & Brian Fikkert titled When Helping Hurts. I'm not very far into it, but it talks a lot about the ways our 'good intentions' can lead us to potentially, (usually unintentionally), wound instead of make a positive difference. We get a great idea, gather the resources to make it happen, and plunge onward. I would argue that most of the time it's accompanied with a sense of pride that we get to take part in something 'good', 'right', or 'better'. The bottom line, hairy it may be, is that sometimes what we may consider helping is hurtful.

These are people we are talking about.
I am guilty of neglecting that. When we go to help, we're going to help PEOPLE; with stories, lives, histories, traditions, families, etc. It's so important to treat them accordingly. Whether we think they are "less" than we are or not, doesn't matter; those individuals are created in the image of the same Father that we are. Those people have worked hard, suffered trials, failed, and succeeded - just as we have. We don't have to agree with their way of doing things, but we should attempt to understand and respect it (and them).


We don't always know what's best.
Honestly, I think this is one of the trickiest limbos in ministry. What we might call a need, another sees as an unnecessary benefit. What we may find repulsive, might be the acceptable lifestyle for the entire history of a culture. Haiti has been such an eye-opening example of this for me. In times of crisis we have every intention of wanting to help. But sending a team of 35 people with bibles might not be exactly what they need right now. I won't disagree that everyone needs Jesus, I'm simply proposing that adding 35 bodies (in need of, already diminishing, resources) to the chaos - may not be to the best interest of any and every one involved. Sending medical aid, food supply, and rescue crew can be a different story; but sadly sometimes simply showing up and claiming "I'm here to help!" can be more harmful than anything.

We only see the surface.
There is so much more to people that what we're able to view from half way around the world, across the country, or even across the state. The root of the problem is often much deeper than we could ever know. The missionaries in this news clip, for example, see a group of children (assumingly orphans) and their compassion moves them. They respond with urgency to remove these babies from the country. However, now there is much confusion as to whether or not they were actually orphans, if they might've had parents, if the appropriate paperwork was filled out, where the kids were going to be taken, etc, etc, etc. The country may be in rough shape, but there are still rules, the people still deserve respect, and acting before we get to the root of the problem can be extremely hurtful.


What I'm realizing...
I can't say whether or not I would've acted in the same manner if I were in their position, seeing the kids in Haiti. My heart is wired responsively to these situations. I soften so easily to adoption, and children in chaos in general. BUT it reminds me to remember that I am part of the body of Christ. All of my actions can be questioned to anyone working for the Kingdom. I am held accountable for even the ways in which I try to help. I'm also reminded that in everything I do, I am to treat people as the children of God that they are. I hate the phrase "stepping down" to help someone. Financial circumstance shouldn't, and doesn't, determine a person's worth. In general, I am realizing that I have so much to learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment